Sunday, February 1, 2015

284.34 (sickness strikes)

After spending a week and a half of getting through family wide sickness, it's nice to start getting some miles again. Nice, but not easy. 

It was a week ago from last Friday when I told my coworkers that I wasn't going to be meeting up after work to watch the Atlanta Hawks continue their unbelievable winning streak because I needed to be home to help my wife with our sick son. But this wasn't just any sickness, at just over two years old it really was his first. We have been so fortunate to have a kid that really never got sick, but after almost 25 months of being a parent, it was the first time in a long time I truly felt like a new "first time" parent all over again. By the end of that weekend we had a high suspicion his sickness was strep throat. By Monday, his Dr had confirmed it. 

Over the course of the next week we all got sick to some degree (me with a short lived fever, the wife with a sore throat) my miles dropped from 25 in one weekend (my last post) to only a few over the next 10 days or so.  

By the start of this weekend, all 3 of us were finally started to feel better again. My interest in running while remaining at an all time, wasn't enough to get my butt up and go for some reason. Saturday morning was beautiful here. It was unseasonably mild and the sun was out in full force. Yet still I did not go. I had a serious lack of motivation. I did go to the gym Saturday and planned to run after, but I just went home when I was done. 

But today I finally snapped out of it. After reading so many posts in the google+ running community about people out on their run this morning, I tied my shoes and hit the road. I ended up having a great 5k at near personal best. 

I'm so glad to have all members of the family back in good health and be over the hump again. Now I must find time to get my miles back up. My next real 5k is in 2 weeks!!!  I really want a PR for this one and it's such a cool race. 



Lincoln first getting sick over a week ago


My run this morning. Very happy considering I didn't feel like going...


I can tell this boy is feeling good since he is mimicking my rediculous expressions again.



No comments:

Post a Comment